As a teen, you’ll prefer fried foods and sodas to greens. But consistent with the WHO, 1 out of 10 adolescents are overweight or obese thanks to poor food habits and lifestyle (1). Thesefactors can increase the danger of diabetes, hypertension, heart condition , and joint problems (2). More often than not, teenage obesity also affects adult life.
Hence, shedding a couple of pounds and improving the general health is extremely important for teens. we’ve compiled 13 healthy weight loss tips for teens which will help get their health back on target . Scroll down!
1. Ditch The Soda
Sodas contain sugar that exceeds the daily limit of 25 grams (3). They cause obesity and diabetes (4). Research group has also found pesticide residues in certain soft drinks/soda (5). Replace soda with homemade ice tea , lemonade, pulpy ice watermelon and berry juices with mint, lime, and a pinch of pink salt.
2. Avoid food
Junk foods contain trans fats and saturated fats and are high in calories, salt, and sugar (6), (7). they will cause you to gain stubborn fat, which may get difficult to lose later. Hence, it’s important to steer beyond food if you would like to reduce . Here is how you’ll start:
- Switch to healthy snacking – Consume baked chips, fruit juices, baby carrots and hummus, cucumber, nuts, and plain popcorn.
- Trade your cold drink for a bottle of detox water, iced tea, or freshly pressed fruit crush .
- Have fruits rather than sweets. If you crave sweets, have fruits rather than frozen dessert . you’ll even have a square of bittersweet chocolate (80% or more cocoa content). Low-fat yogurt topped with fresh fruits are often equally tempting and satisfying.
3. Consume More Fiber and Protein
Foods rich in dietary fiber and protein promote satiety and keep your hunger pangs cornered (8), (9). Dietary fiber also improves digestion by promoting the amount and sort of good gut bacteria (10). Protein prevents lean muscle loss during the load reduction phase (11). Here’s what to consume to urge enough protein and fiber from food sources:
- Veggies– Spinach, carrot, asparagus, eggplant, okra, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, scallions, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, purple cabbage, bok choy, chard, peas, radish greens, bell pepper, parsley, and cilantro.
- Fruits – Apple, banana, pineapple, peach, pear, orange, tangerine plum, blueberry, strawberry, watermelon, and muskmelon.
- Protein – Egg, fish, tofu, mushroom, lentils, kidney beans, soybeans, black beans, blackeyed peas, garbanzo beans, sprouts, and edamame.
4. Consume Good Fats
Not all fats are bad. The omega-3 fatty acids found in fatty fish, nuts, and seeds are great for weight loss and overall health (12), (13). The oryzanol in rice bran oil helps lower bad cholesterol (14). Here’s an inventory of healthy fats you’ll consume and avoid:
- Healthy fats to consume –Avocado, olive oil, avocado oil, rice oil, ghee (clarified butter), almonds, walnut, macadamia, pine nuts, pistachios, fatty fish, flax seeds, melon seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, spread (not quite 2 tablespoons per day), sunflower butter, flax seed butter, and omega-3 supplements (after consulting a licensed doctor).
- Fats to avoid – oil , butter, lard, cheese, chicken skin, pork fat, and margarine.
Being active is vital , regardless of one’s age. Teens have many options to remain active, like playing a sport, learning to bop from YouTube, learning ballet, performing gymnastics, skating , running around with friends, hiking , walking dogs, riding a bicycle, happening treks and camping, etc.
You may also try these following weight exercises:
- Warm-up – 10 minutes
- High knees – 3 sets of 12 reps
- Alternate standing cross kicks – 3 sets of 12 reps
- Lying leg raises – 3 sets of 12 reps
- Scissor kicks – 3 sets of 12 reps
- Crunches – 3 sets of 8 reps
- Bicycle crunches – 3 sets of 8 reps
- Rope jumping – 3 sets of 25 reps
- Mountain climbers – 3 sets of 12 reps
- Spider climbers – 3 sets of 12 reps
- Jump squats – 3 sets of 12 reps
- Elbow plank – 2 sets of 30 seconds hold
- Plank up-downs – 2 sets of 10 reps
- Lying ankle taps – 3 sets of 20 reps
- Cool-down – 10 minutes
6. Stay Hydrated
Dehydration results in toxin build-up (15). This, in turn, can cause inflammation-induced obesity (16). Drink a minimum of 2-3 liters of water to flush out toxins and support weight loss. you’ll also consume water within the sort of freshly pressed fruit crush (without added sugar), soup, fresh vegetables, delicious smoothies, and detox drinks.
7. Never Skip Breakfast
Breakfast is that the most vital meal of the day. If you’re wont to skipping it a day , re-evaluate . this might alright be the rationale behind your weight gain.
Have your breakfast within 60-120 minutes of awakening within the morning. an honest breakfast should have a balance of protein, fiber, and healthy carbs. this will help kick-start your metabolism, helping you reduce faster. Healthy breakfasts curb your hunger pangs and keep your brain active throughout the day.
8. Say No To Fast Foods
Fast foods, like fried chicken, burger, and pizza, are unhealthy and loaded with bad fats and carbs. As an adolescent , replacing fast foods with whole foods might be a challenge. But it’s important to form that call because the trans fats in fast foods could elevate bad cholesterol levels and increase the danger of heart condition .
9. Practice Portion Control
Consuming too many calories won’t assist you reduce . Teenage girls need 1400-2400 calories per day, and boys need 1600 – 3000 calories per day, counting on the activity level (17). rather than fanatically weighing your food, practice portion control.
Eat in a smaller plate. half your plate should contain veggies/fruits, one-fourth of the plate should contain protein, and therefore the rest one-fourth of your plate should contain whole grains. Have a square of bittersweet chocolate or one serving of baked chips. These are better alternatives to fried foods coming directly from the bag. .
10. Try Yoga
Yoga is one among the simplest methods for weight loss, and this is true across generations (18). It gives you the facility to combat other changes in your body and life. it’s the simplest thanks to attain a relaxed mind, body, and soul. Moreover, it channelizes more energy into your body and helps regulate your metabolism. If you discover regular yoga boring, try aerial yoga, or do a mixed workout that has yoga.
11. Don’t Take Exam Stress
It’s easier said than done, especially once you are in highschool and can be getting to college soon. this is often where you, as a young adult, got to learn to coach your brain. If you’re well-prepared, teach a fellow student. it’ll help in your revision. And if you’ve got not studied, do it. Worrying and cribbing will only cause you to eat more (emotional eating) and increase the danger of obesity and prediabetes.
12. Sleep Well
Sleep deprivation can cause weight gain (19). you’ll feel lethargic all day, and this might compel you to skip your daily exercises and other activities. stick with a sleep schedule. attempt to awaken and attend sleep at an equivalent time a day .
Also, never nod off with the TV on. the sunshine disrupts your sleep pattern and prevents you from getting an honest night’s sleep.
13. Write Your Goals
It is one thing to line your goal and another to realize it. Write down your weight loss goal. Don’t just wish for it; work towards it. Set a sensible , short-term goal. for instance , “I want to lose 1 pound in 7-10 days” may be a realistic, achievable goal. Stick weight loss motivation quotes in places you’re sure to notice. don’t choose fad diets to reduce fast. you’ll regain the load as quickly as you lost it.
These are the 13 ways during which you’ll reduce . additionally to following the following pointers , here are a couple of points you ought to confine mind.
Points to recollect
- Eat healthy. Have 5-6 small meals each day (every 2-3 hours).
- Avoid fad diets.
- Do not take weight loss pills.
- Avoid energy drinks.
- Learn self-control.
You can get obviate the additional flab with a diet , healthy food habits, and lifestyle changes. Remember, it’s not about the dimensions but about being healthy and fit. ask a doctor or a registered dietitian and obtain able to welcome a healthy you.