It is an absolutely fantastic vegetable biryani recipe, which even the hearty non-vegetarians will love. Give it a try and let me know the outcome. If you find any room for improvement, please drop in a comment or shoot an e-mail so that we can increase the awesomeness further. If you decide to make it, I do strongly recommend you to follow the recipe exactly the 1st time.
Moreover, it is a wholly revamped recipe with new pics.
Still not convinced? Then you can move on to the Hyderabadi Chicken biryani.
TIPS TO MAKE A GOOD BIRYANI
The way you cook rice plays a crucial part when it comes to any biryani.
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
2. Heat a pot of water to boil and add shahi jeera(fine cumin), cardamom pods, bay leaf, salt, and lemon juice. Taste the water. Salt should be slightly more than what you ideally use. It is the same way you salt while making pasta.
3. Once the water boils, add rice. Stir in between and cook till the rice is 75% cooked. When you take a grain and bite, it should be slightly underdone.
4. Drain the rice into a colander and reserve 1/2 cup of water.
STEP BY STEP VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE
Step1: Cooking Vegetables
Add the whole spices (Set1) to hot oil. Once it sizzles, add tomatoes.
Sauté and cover the pot to let the tomatoes soften.
Step2: Once you see oil separating, mash the tomatoes with the spoon and add spices (turmeric powder + red chilly powder + garam masala).
Step3: Saute for a minute and then add veggies. Roast on medium-high flame.
Step4: Add salt to taste, followed with lime juice and ground green paste. Once the veggies are almost cooked, add yogurt. Let this simmer for a minute. Add half of the fried onions and mix.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE BIRYANI
Add the rice on top of the vegetable and gently press with a spoon. Drizzle a tablespoon of ghee followed by reserved rice water and saffron milk. Now add a layer of cilantro, mint, remaining fried onions and cashews.
Alternately, you can add 1/2 of the rice and garnish, then add another layer of rice and garnish on top. This method generally is best when you are making more quantity.
Cover the pot with a tight lid or seal the top with dough and let the biryani cook further for 20 minutes. Turn the heat to low and place the biryani pot on a girdle / tawa to prevent the bottom layer from getting burnt.
Dum is a process of cooking with steam and hence the name.
Hyderabadi Veg Biriyani
The vegetable biryani recipe is a keeper. It is a combination of flavored vegetables and rice cooked together with aromatic spices, saffron, and nuts. You only need raita | Yogurt dip for the side.Course: Main CourseCuisine: IndianKeyword: hyderabadi veg biryani, rice recipes, veg biryani recipe, vegetable biryani recipeServings: 4Author: Teena AgnelIngredients
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 inch ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 green chilies
- 1/2 cup cilantro/coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
WHOLE SPICES & FLavors: (Divide into two equal sets)(Use one set for vegetables and another for rice)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons shah jeera / fine cumin
- 6 cloves
- 2 star anise
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice divided
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee/clarified butter
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilly powder/paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala / Shaan biryani masala
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cups assorted vegetables cut into medium pieces
- I used cauliflower, carrots, peas, potatoes
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- 2 cups medium size onions finely sliced (about 2 medium onions), or store brought fried onions(1 cup)
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons ghee/clarified butter
- 1/4 cup warm milk + pinch of saffron
- 1/2 cup reserved rice water
- 2-3 drops of Food color orange (Optional)
- Soak rice in water for 30 minutes to an hour. Gather the ingredients into groups.
- Heat oil + ghee in a deep pan (Pan in which you will be making biryani) on medium heat. Add cashews and once it golden brown drain and keeps aside. In the same oil fry onions till its golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
- Now add the whole spices (Set1). Cook for a minute on medium heat till it’s fragrant and then add tomatoes. Sauté and cover the pot to let the tomatoes soften.
- Once you see oil separating, mash the tomatoes with the spoon and add spices (turmeric powder + red chilly powder + garam masala). Saute for a minute and then add veggies. Roast on medium-high flame. Add salt to taste followed by lime juice and ground green paste. Once the veggies are almost cooked, add yogurt. Let this simmer for a minute. Add half of the fried onions and mix (When the vegetables are cooking, keep rice.)
- TO COOK RICE:
- Keep 6 cups of water to boil. Add salt and another set of whole spices followed by drained rice.
- Taste the water. Salt should be slightly more than what you ideally use. It is the same way you salt while making pasta.
- Stir the rice in between and let it cook till 75% done. (When you take a grain and bite, it should be slightly underdone.). Strain the rice and reserve 1/2 cup of water.
- Add the rice on top of the vegetable and gently press with a ladle. Drizzle a tablespoon of ghee followed by reserved rice water and saffron milk. Now add a layer of cilantro, mint, remaining fried onions, and cashews. (If you are adding food color add 2-3 drops of food color randomly.)
- Cover the pot with aluminum foil and cover it with a lid. (You can place the girdle/tawa on heat and place the biryani pot on top of it. Also, nonstick pots makes the process easier.)
- Turn the heat to low and let it cook covered for 20-30 minutes.
- To check for doneness, scoop out a portion of rice and veggies from the side of the pot. Vegetables should be cooked and no liquid should remain.