Giloy Ghan Vati is beneficial in all types of fevers. It increases immunity, which helps to prevent infections and several other diseases. In Charaka Samhita, Giloy is considered as Medhya Rasayana. It means that it increases intelligence, improves memory and enhances cognitive functions. Due to its rejuvenating properties, it helps to get a longer life expectancy.
Its use is more beneficial and efficacious in chronic fever and chronic diseases. It helps in treating chronic fever, malaise, gout, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Its main indications include all types of fevers (especially chronic fever), low immunity, excessive thirst, post fever debility, hyperuricemia (i.e. high uric acid) and rheumatoid arthritis. Furthermore, it is also used in the treatment of jaundice, anemia, skin diseases, piles, dyspnea, diabetes, dysuria and heart diseases.
How to Take
In the case of a child, 1 tablet 2 to 4 times a day is the best dosage in fever. In other diseases, 1 tablet twice a day should be taken.
For adults, if it is being used for fever, 2 tablets can be taken 2 to 4 times a day. In other diseases, 2 tablets should be taken twice a day.
Adjuvant: It should be taken with lukewarm water. In some cases, your doctor can also advise to take it along with honey and milk or along with other remedies.
Duration of Treatment:
- according to the patient’s health, the treatment period can range from one week to six months or even more.
- It should be used for 3 to 6 months to increase immunity and in the case of hyperuricemia (high uric acid).
- In the case of chronic fever, it should be used at least 45 days. It should be continued even if the patient gets relief from fever. Continuing taking it will help to strengthen the body and prevents recurrence.
Giloy Ghan Vati Side Effects
There are no serious side effects observed with giloy and giloy containing products including Giloy Ghan Vati. However, in some rare cases, the following side effects may appear.
According to Bhavprakash, Giloy has Grahi’s action. Grahi refers to astringent action. Grahi substances absorb the moisture from the stool. Due to which these substances are beneficial in diarrhea.
However, the Grahi action of Giloy is not so potent to cause constipation. Still, it may cause constipation in some patients who are already prone to constipation. If you are taking a balanced diet including fruits, vegetables, and salad, then this side effect will never occur.
Can I take giloy ghan vati in typhoid fever?
Yes, Giloy Ghan Vati can be taken in typhoid fever to reduce its recurrence, lowering fever, reducing after-effects like weakness and loss of appetite, and improving immune response against typhoid Salmonella Typhi and Salmonella Paratyphi bacteria.
Can we use giloy ghan vati after surgery in place of antibiotics?
No, giloy ghan vati is not so potent that it can replace the need for antibiotic medicines. However, it can be used as an adjuvant to antibiotics to improve immunity and reduce the severity of infections. It also applies to its use after surgery.
When should I take Giloy Ghan Vati?
Best Time to Take: 30 minutes before food or 1-2 hours after a meal. It can be repeated every 4 to 6 hours regardless of the food intake.
Side effects of antibiotics and other medicines
Allopathic treatment affects overall health because of their strong potency. All medicines used in fever management in allopathy often have side effects on the liver and kidneys.
Giloy Ghan Vati is an excellent tonic for the liver as well as for the kidneys. It reduces the side effects of other medicines and protects the liver and kidneys from the damage.
- It boosts immunity. Giloy Ghan Vati reduces the frequency of recurrent infection. Therefore, it helps to prevent frequent cold and flu.
- It provides strength to the body and muscles. It is beneficial in relieving muscular pain.
- Due to anti-inflammatory properties and analgesic action, it reduces muscle and joint pain. It is also beneficial in inflammatory diseases. It also reduces inflammation occurring in arthritic disorders.
- Due to adaptogenic effects, it helps the body coping with stress.
- Giloy Ghan Vati is beneficial in general body aches and general fatigue.
- Mild antipyretic properties of Giloy Ghan Vati reduce fever and assist other remedies used in fever. It is the best medicine for chronic fever.
- Being a blood purifier, it is beneficial in skin diseases. It also has antipruritic action, which helps in relieving itching.
- Its intake enhances urinary excretion of toxins.
- If you are experiencing physical weakness, then you can get strength from its consumption.
- It improves the digestion of fats. It can also help if the mucus is present in the stool.
- In the context of the heart, it gives strength to the heart.
- It is highly beneficial for treating post fever debility.
- In chronic fever, it reduces the symptoms of fever and breaks the fever cycle.
Now let us talk about how it works and how we can use it in different health conditions.