It would not be an overstatement to declare the kitchen as the most important part of a house. This is the place from where the fuel to nourish our body and soul comes. This is why it is of utmost importance to construct this part in such a way that all the positive energy surrounds it. Vastu would help you do that.
Importance of Vastu-compliant kitchens
Let’s take a look at some of the drawbacks of kitchens that are not Vastu-compliant:
- Health issues for the cook and head of the household causing lethal diseases and untimely death.
- Financial loss creating a situation where one reaches the state of bankruptcy.
- Family disputes and situations where in married people go for divorce.
Guidelines for designing a Vastu-compliant kitchen
Placement of the kitchen
The southeast direction is the ideal location for placing the Kitchen as the element of fire governs this direction. Even the northwest corner of the home is another great alternative.
Placement of gas stove
Gas stove must be placed in the southeast direction as the person who makes the food should be facing the east direction.
Sink and taps should be placed away from the cooking gas
The perfect location for placing sinks and taps is the north-east direction as they indicate flowing water. Also, one should ensure that the sink and taps must be placed away from the cooking gas as water and fire are two opposing elements.
Placement of the refrigerator
The refrigerator must be placed in the southwest direction. Keep it at a distance of at least a foot from the corner. Avoid placement of refrigerator in the north-east direction.
Placement of windows and exhaust fan
Windows must be placed in the east whereas ventilators should be positioned in the southern direction.
Placement of electrical appliances
Electrical appliances must be placed in the south or the southeast direction of the kitchen. One should avoid placing them in the north-east direction.
Placement of storage
The storage cupboards should be placed on the southern or western walls of the kitchen. North and east side walls should be avoided when it comes to the placement of the storage.
The positioning of drinking water vessels
Drinking water vessels should be positioned on the northeast side of the home.
Ceramic tiles, marble or mosaic are hard and scratch resistant. Thus, it makes for a great option for kitchen’s flooring.
*Add a hint of red to the walls of a kitchen in the southeast corner.
*Colours such as white, off-white or cream are suitable for the floor of the kitchen.
*Use light shades of pink, orange, violet or purple for the decor and cabinets.
*You can also include accessories such as table or countertop in red or light blue colours.
*Green can be used for fabrics used in the kitchen.
*Do not use black colour in the kitchen area as it can spread negative energies around.
Vastu does not recommend Puja in the kitchen
Ideally, in Vastu Shastra, the puja area should never be above the kitchen sink or above the stove. This kind of arrangement could lead to conflicts in the family, differences between family members or even cause financial losses. If it is not possible to place the ‘Mandir’ anywhere except in the kitchen, make sure to keep the area closed. The best way to design a Puja area is by selecting a peaceful corner of the house instead of the kitchen.
Non-destructive ways to rectify Vastu Dosha in the kitchen
In case you have a kitchen that is not as per the said Vastu principles, then these remedies would help you fix Vastu Dosha prevailing in your kitchen and that too without going through the hassle of reconstruction.
- In case the kitchen is situated in the north-east or north direction, then pasting a Jupiter crystal pyramid above the stove will minimise the negative energy prevailing because of the Vastu Dosha.
- In case there is Vastu violation as far as the placement of the stove is concerned, then simply paste a set of three zinc pyramids on the wall opposing the stove.
- Ideally, kitchen sink should be placed away from the kitchen’s stove. But in case of violation, simply place a clear crystal rock cluster in between the stove and the sink.
- When electrical appliances are not placed in the southeast direction then paste a mars crystal pyramid beside the oven or other electrical appliances.
- Although it is not recommended to have puja room in the kitchen, if space or budget constraints force you to keep puja room in the kitchen, then simply place a crystal Shree yantra in the temple placed above the kitchen’s sink. Else, if it is placed above the stove then pasting a sun crystal pyramid between the stove and the temple will solve the issue.
- Hanging a 50 mm crystal on the four corners of the ceiling of the kitchen will help you solve Vastu Dosha created because of the placement of the water storage tank in the wrong direction.
One easy way to rectify all kitchen Vastu defects is by lighting an oil lamp or diya and placing it near the cooktop. Ensure the cooking stove is always placed in the south-east corner as that is the direction of fire element or aagneya kon which is compatible with kitchen placement.
Vastu defects and remedy
Defect: A kitchen that faces the main entrance or bathroom door
Remedy: Hang a 50-mm crystal on the ceiling of the kitchen.
Defect: A kitchen built in the northeast corner
Remedy: Paint the kitchen walls in lemon yellow shades to remove effects of bad Vastu, especially for kitchen built in the northeast corner.
Defect: An open kitchen attached to the living room
Remedy: Paint a wall in red colour and hand a mirror that reflects your guests as well as your stove.
Defect: A kitchen built in the southwest direction
Remedy: The defect can lead to a loss of finances or anxiety. Place an image of goddess Annapurna in the north-east corner of the kitchen.
Vastu tips for Kitchen:
- Clog burners in the kitchen indicate monetary issues. Thus, keep the burners of your kitchen clean as this ensures the smooth flow of cash in a household.
- Puja house should not be placed in the kitchen as chemical reactions take place within the kitchen. This diminishes the positive energy radiated by the puja room.
- The south-east direction is ideal for building a kitchen.
- The gas stove must be placed in the south-east corner.
- The sinks and taps must be based in the north-east direction.
- The refrigerator should be kept in the south-west direction.
- Drinking water vessels must be placed on the north-east side of the kitchen.
- Ceramic tiles, marble, and mosaic is a good option for the kitchen flooring.