Transcendental Meditation Mantras
TM is practiced by silently and effortlessly thinking a mantra or sound, which has been passed on during personal instruction by a fully-trained teacher following careful guidelines laid down by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. It is strongly recommended that you do not try to learn TM from any other source, even if they claim to be using Transcendental Meditation mantras, for reasons which will become apparent below.
How do Transcendental Meditation mantras work?
The mantra does not act as a focus for the mind as in other forms of meditation, but as a ‘vehicle’ upon which the attention gently and innocently rests. This allows the mind to settle into increasingly subtle levels of thinking, and finally the mantra itself is transcended and we settle into silence.
There are two qualities of the Transcendental Meditation mantra which are important for this process to occur:
It is a meaningless sound. Using a word with meaning would keep the mind on the surface, thinking about the word, and not allow it to transcend (go beyond) that level.
Its vibration has a resonance with its source in the primordial hum (Om) close to the silent, blissful level of the mind which gives it a tendency to fade in that direction. This attracts and charms the mind, which itself is always searching for greater happiness, so the mind settles with the mantra towards silence.
Where do Transcendental Meditation mantras come from?
The mantras used in Transcendental Meditation come from the ancient Vedic tradition of India. They are Sanskrit sounds, the language which is the closest possible human imitation of the natural vibrations produced by the dynamism of the unified field – the field identified by objective modern science as the silent source of all creation, and by yogis in their meditation as the Self – the field of Pure Consciousness. Some mantras have healing power for specific parts of the body, but the Transcendental Meditation mantras are for transcending, which has an enormous healing effect for the whole body and mind and much more.
How do you choose the Transcendental Meditation mantra?
There are thousands of Transcendental Meditation mantras, from which a small number with known effects are used. We choose one that is suitable for you from a selection passed on by Maharishi according to a simple procedure that ensures it is correct.
How To Do Transcendental Meditation + Mantras Free – Step-by-Step
Benefits of regular practice of the TM technique include:
- Stress, anxiety and depression relief and great improvement in mental health
- Higher work efficiency
- Better school performance
- Healthy blood pressure
- Lower risk of heart disease
- Quitting smoking
- Alcoholism and addiction treatment
- Hyperactivity (ADHD) treatment
- Healthy relationships
- Improved intelligence
I learned how to do Transcendental Meditation in 1999 when I was 23 years old. I studied it in a It in an official center in my home city. It was a good experience, my tutor, an American woman, was kind, gentle and compassionate and meditating in a group each evening in the center was a lovely experience. Here I detail the technique which I have used since, over almost 20 years
Transcendental Meditation Technique: How it started?
- Transcendental Meditation technique was developed by the Indian guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in the 1950’s and popularized in the 1960’s when it came to the west (i.e. California).
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was the guru that the Beatles were hanging out with in India, when they were exploring spiritual practice and the expansion of consciousness.
- It is based on sitting silently and using a mantra which is repeated in the mind and gently focused on.
- To learn It properly you could go to your nearest Transcendental Meditation center and pay to learn it there where you get expert personal one-on-one tuition and guidance from an experienced tutor who has studied at an official Maharishi college.