After the Thanksgiving and Christmas festivities are over and we have gained a few extra pounds. I have the perfect solution to help us shed any unwanted extra weight! It is my very delicious Vegan/Vegetarian Cabbage Soup, especially perfect for those on the cabbage soup diet.
If you love cabbage as I do, or you want to experiment with more cabbage recipes, you have to also try my Curry Cabbage, Roasted Cabbage Steaks, and my Ital Stew. If you were skeptical before, you will be a die-hard fan of cabbage after you try these recipes.
This Vegan Cabbage Soup recipe is surprisingly warm, hearty, and satisfying. I made mine using water and vegan bouillon cubes since I was out of my homemade vegetable broth. I love to prepare this cabbage soup, because not only is it healthy and economical, but it is very delicious when cooked with lots of flavors.
Vegan Cabbage Soup Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Green Onion
- Thyme, Parsley, and Basil
- Green Cabbage
- Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, and Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Bay Leaf
- Water or Vegetable Broth
Cabbage Health Benefits
Cabbage is very healing and detoxifying on the body. It has compounds that rid the body of excess fluids, transporting toxins along with it. While eating this soup, you ingest extra water, which also helps the body dispose of toxins.
Despite being quite low in calories, cabbage is absolutely packed with so many nutrients. I particularly like that it is an amazing source of vitamin K, which is vital for our blood. Most of us can always use a little more fiber, and cabbage will help you get there and keep your digestive system happy.
Cabbage also helps the body by lowering blood sugar, reducing tumors, and strengthening the immune system.
It is rich in many minerals, particularly sulfur, which helps the liver to detoxify and eliminate toxins. Read more here on the health benefits of cabbage and add this amazing vegetable to your diet!
How To Make Cabbage Soup?
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, and green onions, and cook for 2 minutes while stirring constantly. Stir in carrots, thyme, parsley, basil, and cabbage.
- While cooking for another 2 minutes, add water or broth, bay leaf, yeast flakes, paprika, cayenne pepper, and bouillon cubes or salt.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, then simmer for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Tips For Making Vegan Cabbage Soup
This cabbage soup has a cleansing effect on the body. I made mine using only water, but feel free to use 2 veggie bouillons or broth for a boost of flavor. I guarantee that it will taste mind-blowing.
It is so easy and healthy for the soup detox diet and will help you with your diet plan. It is also hearty with lots of veggies so that you won’t feel like you are missing starches.
If you are like me I think you will love this cabbage soup. I can eat it daily while I’m trying to detox. I like switching up the recipe to keep it interesting, and as such, here are some additional cooking tips!
- Bay leaf is added for flavor, but also to prevent gas. You may also add epazote herb or a piece of kombu seaweed.
- I don’t recommend that you only consume cabbage soup, but you can include it as a part of your low-fat diet, high fiber diet.
- I absolutely love adding beans to this recipe for extra protein. White beans are a favorite of mine, sort of a combination between this recipe and my White Bean Soup. Also, try garbanzo or kidney beans.
- To add extra flavor and texture, add fresh or canned chopped/diced tomatoes. I like to add fire-roasted tomatoes for extra smokiness.
- Make your own Vegetable Broth to use in this. If you use store-bought, make sure it is vegan and gluten-free, since this is not always the case.
- I have added gluten-free dumplings from my Vegan Chicken and Dumplings, which adds more heartiness and comfort. I have also added chopped potatoes for the same reason.
- Feel free to add any of your favorite veggies, such as leafy dark greens, cauliflower, and peppers. Add greens towards the end of cooking, since they cook quicker than other veggies.
- Leftover veggie meat substitutes, such as baked tofu, are perfect thrown in this soup.
How To Store Vegetable Soup?
Let your soup cool COMPLETELY to room temperature. If the soup is still warm when you refrigerate it, the temperature in your refrigerator may rise and this may cause spoilage, not to mention it uses more electricity. You can keep it in the pot, or transfer it to a large plastic or glass container with a lid. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
You can also use this for a quick meal or as part of meal prep by pouring it into smaller plastic/glass storage containers (I like stackable ones like these).
Can You Freeze Cabbage Soup?
Yes, you can cool your soup completely then place it in freezer-safe airtight containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
I love to make soups and stew from simple ingredients. Please check out more of my delicious soup recipes:
- Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- Jamaican Gungo Peas Soup
- Jamaican Pumpkin Soup
- Split Peas Soup (Vegan)
- Potato Leek Carrot and Zucchini
- White Bean Soup