This quick and straightforward Vegetable Lasagna recipe may be a simple and comfy casserole that comes along side just 20 minutes of prep! Loaded with fresh veggies and many of gooey, melty cheese, the healthy dinner may be a delicious food classic that the entire family will love!
Overhead shot of the simplest vegetable lasagna recipe during a white dish
HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE LASAGNA | 1-MINUTE VIDEO
EASY VEGETABLE LASAGNA
Warm and hearty vegetable lasagna is that the best thanks to getting your family to eat their veggies! While my kids (and husband) have certain vegetables that they enjoy, it can often be a challenge to encourage new or different options. If there’s one thing that I’ve learned after raising three boys, it’s that combining vegetables with pasta or a cheesy casserole is usually more appealing than plain, raw produce on a plate.
My mother-in-law makes an excellent beef and sausage lasagna that she serves per annum at Christmas. My boys go crazy for her decadent dish, but you recognize what? They also devour this lighter, healthier, veggie-packed version! I promise, if my house filled with hungry guys loves this meal, then you won’t miss the meat, either.
WHAT VEGETABLES ARE GOOD IN LASAGNA?
Lasagna may be a classic Italian casserole. While a standard recipe includes layers of lasagna noodles, red sauce, cheese, and meat, you’ll also switch it up with a vegetable-packed meat-free recipe, Italian sausage, chicken, or white sauces like Alfredo. the choices are truly endless!
For our favourite healthy vegetable lasagna recipe, I bulk up the marinara sauce with a mixture of sweet bell pepper, sliced mushrooms, diced onion, diced zucchini and minced garlic. the great news is that you simply can mix it up and modify the recipe to incorporate any of your family’s favorites. Corn, diced eggplant, or spinach would all be great additions. within the fall, I’ll probably accompany some butternut squash and kale!
Overhead shot of a slice of vegetable lasagna on a red and white plate
This is a fast overview of the ingredients that you’ll need for this easy vegetable lasagna. As always, the complete list of measurements and specific instructions are included within the recipe box at rock bottom of the post.
- Olive oil: just a touch bit to sauté the vegetables
- Mushrooms: i prefer the “meaty” flavor of baby portabella mushrooms, which give the vegetarian casserole a hearty texture. search for pre-sliced baby Bella mushrooms for a pleasant shortcut. you’ll substitute with the other sort of mushroom available.
- Zucchini: a light vegetable that adds bulk and nutrition to the sauce. Dice it finely and your family won’t even know it’s there! you’ll also substitute with yellow summer squash.
- Sweet bell pepper: red bell peppers tend to be sweeter, while green bell peppers are a touch zestier. Pick your favorite!
- Onion and garlic: add great flavor to the dish.
- Egg: helps bind the ricotta cheese layer in order that it doesn’t exude once you slice the casserole.
- Ricotta cheese: adds a thick, creamy, cheesy layer to the dish. you’ll substitute with pot cheese for a lighter option.
- Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese: these additional cheeses add flavor to the casserole and hold it all at once. The more cheese the higher, right?!
- Marinara sauce: pick a high-quality store-bought jar (such as Rao’s marinara) or make your own reception with this easy recipe.
- No-boil (“oven-ready”) lasagna noodles: these par-boiled noodles don’t require boiling before you assemble the casserole. They cut the prep time in half, making this vegetable lasagna quick and easy!
HOW TO MAKE EASY VEGETABLE LASAGNA
A light and fresh garden vegetable lasagna come alongside about 20 minutes of prep.
- Overhead process shot showing the way to make vegetable lasagna
- Sauté vegetables during a large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Add marinara sauce to the skillet and stir to mix .
- Prepare the ricotta mixture by stirring together egg, parsley, basil, ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Assemble the casserole by layering the sauce, noodles and cheese.
- Cover and bake during a 400° F oven for 35 minutes. Remove the duvet and continue baking for about 5-10 more minutes.
- Spatula lifting a slice of the simplest vegetable lasagna recipe
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGETABLE LASAGNA
This hearty lasagna is delicious when paired with a Caesar salad or an easy tossed salad wearing Italian Balsamic Vinaigrette. you would possibly also wish to offer a side of bread or homemade focaccia bread.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY VEGETABLE LASAGNA FOR A LIGHTER CHOICE
If you’re looking to relax the dish and make it even healthier, there are a couple of swaps that you simply can easily make:
- Whole Wheat Pasta: you’ll purchase whole wheat no-boil lasagna noodles. If using the entire wheat noodles, check the cooking instructions on your package. Most whole-wheat pasta requires a rather different cooking temperature and time (usually about 450° F for 40 minutes covered, then 5-10 more minutes uncovered).
- Cottage Cheese: use small curd (or “whipped”) pot cheese in lieu of the ricotta. For this recipe, you’ll need a 16-ounce container of small-curd pot cheese (about 2 cups).
- Reduced-Fat Mozzarella: search for a lighter shredded mozzarella to scale back fat and calories.
- Marinara Sauce without Added Sugar: search for a high-quality store-bought marinara sauce that doesn’t include added sugar. We love Rao’s brand, but any similar sauce will work.
- Side shot of a fork with a bite of easy vegetable lasagna thereon.
Assemble the lasagna beforehand, but don’t bake. Wrap tightly and store within the refrigerator for up to 48 hours before baking, or freeze for up to three months.
When able to bake, allow the refrigerated lasagna to take a seat on the counter and are available to temperature for a minimum of 30-60 minutes before baking. If you’re baking the casserole frozen (directly from the freezer), bake the dish covered during a 400° F oven for 1 hour. Then remove the duvet and bake for a further 10 minutes (or until the pasta is tender and therefore the dish is heated through).
Leftover lasagna will confine an airtight container within the refrigerator for 3-4 days. you’ll also freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to three months.
Cover the lasagna loosely with foil. Warm the dish during a 350° F oven just until heated through, about half-hour. you’ll also reheat individual slices of lasagna within the microwave until warm, about 1 minute.
TIPS FOR the simplest VEGETABLE LASAGNA RECIPE
- Cooking for Two? Divide the complete recipe between two smaller 8-inch square baking dishes. That way you get two meals with an equivalent amount of effort, and you’ll freeze one for a later date. Alternatively, you’ll cut all of the ingredients in half and prepare one lasagna in an 8-inch square dish. The baking instructions remain an equivalent.
- Add meat to the dish by stirring 1 pound of cooked hamburger or Italian sausage into the sauce.
- White Vegetarian Lasagna: substitute a jar of store-bought Alfredo sauce or 2 ½ cups of homemade Alfredo sauce for the marinara sauce.
- Sauté peeled, diced eggplant with the opposite vegetables for a hearty addition to the lasagna.
- Make vegetable lasagna with spinach by adding a couple of cups of fresh baby spinach leaves to the nice and cozy sauce, just until the leaves wilt. Alternatively, you’ll use a 10-ounce package of chopped, frozen spinach. Just thaw the spinach and squeeze it really dry before adding to the lasagna.
- Let the lasagna rest for a minimum of 10 minutes before slicing. this may help the cheese set in order that it slices cleanly and doesn’t exude.