Three out of six people have experienced dandruff at least once in life. Dandruff is more about scalp than it is about hair. The health and bounce of your hair indicate the underlying scalp situation, and no matter how much you hide, those nasty flakes are always visible to people around you.
Time to combat the lingering dandruff issue with simple home remedies for dandruff and hair that are light on the pocket and your scalp as well.
Dandruff Home Remedies
Henna for dandruff works as an anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory treatment to soothe the scalp. Let’s discover more home remedies to remove dandruff.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) inhibits the growth of yeast. It also works as a natural hair cleanser and helps unclog pores and hair follicles. Method: Mix two cups of Apple Cider Vinegar with three cups of cold water and use this mixture to rinse your hair, post shampooing. Let it sit for two minutes before washing it off. For best results, use this once a week.
2. Coconut Oil and Lemon for Dandruff
- Purpose: Lemon juice for dandruff works wonders! Known for its anti-fungal properties, Coconut Oil moisturizes a dry scalp and tackles itchiness like a pro. Plus, it nourishes your hair and boosts hair growth. Need we say more?
- Method: For a potent anti-dandruff remedy, combine equal parts of Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice and massage on your scalp. Let it sit for 20 minutes before you wash your hair. Follow this dandruff treatment at home regularly for the best results.
3. Tea Tree Oil for Dandruff
- Purpose: Tea Tree Oil has long been used to treat dandruff, owing to its potent cleansing and anti-fungal properties. A classic anti-dandruff treatment if we may say so.
- Method: Add six drops of Tea Tree Oil to half a cup of essential oil (such as Lavender), and massage on your scalp to get rid of dandruff. You can also add a few drops to your regular shampoo to make it into an all-natural anti-dandruff shampoo.
4. Olive Oil and Vinegar for Dandruff
Purpose: Olive oil for dandruff is a natural conditioner and minimize oxidative damage owing to its anti-oxidant properties. This lightweight oil is effective on hair without weighing it down. The acetic properties of vinegar fight off fungal infections and improve blood circulation.
- Method: Mix 1 tsp Olive Oil and 2 tsp White Vinegar in a bowl of water. Apply this mixture on separate sections of your hair and massage the scalp for five minutes. Wash it off with a sulfate-free anti-dandruff shampoo and apply a conditioner.
5. Yogurt for Dandruff
- Purpose: The lactic acid in yogurt helps reduce dandruff considerably. The antibacterial properties of this dandruff remedy will ensure that the protein in it strengthens hair from its roots.
- Method: Rinse your hair with lukewarm water and towel dry it to get rid of dripping water. Apply a generous layer of fresh yogurt on the scalp and hair. Leave it on for 10 minutes. Wash it off with water.
6. Salt for Dandruff
- Purpose: Salt absorbs excess oil or sebum that can otherwise clog pores and steer your scalp from turning into an oil-extracting land. Salt, when used in adequate amounts, can also help absorb extra moisture and defy fungal infection. Method: Salt can be added to your usual hair wash. Squeeze a dollop of shampoo on your palm and add a pinch of salt to it. Apply this salt-shampoo on your hair, while massaging it onto your scalp in circular motions. Leave it on for two minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
7. Listerine for Dandruff
Purpose: The anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antifungal properties of this mouthwash ruthlessly kill dandruff, restoring the health of the scalp. This surprising dandruff remedy leaves the scalp feeling fresh. Method: Take an empty spray bottle and pour equal quantities of Listerine and water in it. Wash your hair with your regular shampoo and conditioner. Towel dry the scalp. Spritz this spray onto your scalp and leave it for three minutes. Follow it with a cold water rinse.
Dandruff can be controlled if you follow a diligent hair-care routine coupled with special medicated shampoos. Do not stick to one shampoo instead, we recommend switching between different anti-dandruff shampoos every 2-3 weeks to not let your hair get used to it.
Pick shampoos containing anti-dandruff ingredients:
1. Selenium Sulfide
Shampoos containing Selenium Sulfide as the main element reduce the bad fungus and lessen dead skin cells a.k.a. dandruff flakes.
Caution: This shampoo may remove dandruff, but with that, it could also wash away your expensive hair color. So, if you have freshly colored tresses, you might want to opt for an alternative method to treat dandruff.
2. Salicylic Acid
These shampoos work on knocking off those flakes but might leave your scalp dry. Follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner to retain the moisture in those locks.
3. Pyrithione Zinc
The antibacterial and antifungal properties of Pyrithione Zinc helps reduce the fungus that cause dandruff and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Coal tar slows the rate at which skin cells on your scalp die and flake off. It helps keep dandruff in control. However, tar-based shampoos may cause hair discoloration.